Sunday, September 30, 2012

Spotify on 64bit FreeBSD 9.1

Perhaps a little over a year ago Spotify became my new choice for music.  My mp3 collection is stale and unorganized, and I'm not feeling like taking either the time or money to update and organize it.  I used Pandora for awhile, but their music selection as of a year ago was far smaller, and their desktop client refused to work for me on any OS / architecture combination I tried.

So, with my still fresh install of FreeBSD amd64, what was I to do to run the 32-bit only spotify client?  Setup a 32-bit environment of course.

I more or less followed what is written up here: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=191438

When running make distribution, it failed with an error that sendmail's freebsd.cf file didn't exist so couldn't be installed.  Looking around the intarwebs, I ran into a number of reports regarding a tinderbox bug that caused exactly this, but I was not using tinderbug.  Ultimately, I just ran 'make' by hand in /usr/src/etc/sendmail and "make distribution" worked happily.

Just setting the display in the chroot environment didn't work out for me.  Eventually I installed x11-servers/xephyr.  Then it was just a matter of running Xephyr -ac :1 in the host, setting the DISPLAY variable to localhost:1 in the chroot environment, and I was able to get Spotify up and running under wine.

1 comment:

  1. I ran into a number of reports Free Spotify Premium regarding a tinderbox bug that caused exactly this, but I was not using tinderbug

    ReplyDelete